Is Pursuing CISM® Certification A Good Career Path?￼
A point comes in an individual's life where he has to decide in which field he has to make a career. People willing to join the Information Technology (IT) or IT Security departments should apply for the CISM® Certification.
A certified Information Security Manager (CISM) is a credential accredited to the individuals by the ISACA (Information System Council Audit and Control Association). It is designed for IT security professionals. The responsibility of a CISM®-certified professional is to manage and protect the company’s data from cyberattacks or unauthorized access, develop practices and policies and understand the linking between business objectives and information security.
The risk of cyberattacks has been increasing over the past few years, and there is a shortage of IT security professionals to secure the company’s systems. Due to this, the demand for these professionals is also increasing. Candidates who want to join the IT security department will get jobs easily if they have CISM® certification. To earn this certification, they have to attend the CISM training course. After passing the CISM® exam, candidates will be given this certification. The CISM-certified will be given more preference over others.
The CISM training course can be attended by the following:
- Aspirants who want to build a strong grip on information security concepts.
- IT professionals who want to become IT Security professionals.
- Information security professionals
- Security managers
- Security consultants
Before joining the CISM training, candidates must have work experience of a minimum of 5 years in professional information security management.
The CISM Exam Pattern & Cost
The CISM exam paper covers four areas. These are:
- Information security and governance (24%)
- Information risk management (30%)
- Information security program management and development (27%)
- Information security incident management (19%)
The exam is conducted online and consists of 150 MCQs that need to be answered in 4 hours. The candidate has to score 450 points out of 800. There is no negative marking for incorrect answers.
The exam cost for ISACA members is $575 and for non-members is $760.
What Skills Are Developed in the CISM Training Program?
A candidate develops various important skills in the CISM training program. These skills are as follows:
- Managing Risks – The candidate is taught to identify, analyze and evaluate an organization’s cybersecurity threats. He learns how to protect the company’s data from unauthorized access.
- Asset Security – An asset is a device or data that supports information-related activities. The professionals make processes and policies to manage and protect their assets.
- Security Testing – With this skill, a CISM-certified professional uses various methods to measure how effective his cyber security strategy is against the cyberattack.
- Software Security –The candidate can implement mechanisms in the security construction to help it to remain resistant to cyber risks.
- Security Architecture –The CISM®-certified professionals develop a foundation for a good cyber security strategy to protect the company’s IT infrastructure.
- Network Security –The candidates can prepare a set of technologies that protects the integrity of the company’s infrastructure against hacking and other cyber threats.
- Stimulating Security Protocols – The professional makes a series of procedures or strategies to protect the company’s data.
Why Join the CISM® Certification Training Course?
Candidates must join the CISM training course as after the completion, they will be given the CISM® certificate. This certification is highly beneficial and will help candidates to get jobs. Some benefits of the CISM® certification are listed below:
- Various job opportunities – There are multiple job opportunities for CISM-certified professionals as they gain specialization. Some of the job roles are:
- Information Security Risk Assessment
- Adminsitrative Positions
- Technical Roles
- Systems Auditing
- Salary increment – CISM-certified professionals are paid more than the non-certified ones. The average salary of CISM-certified professionals is $52,000 to $250,000. These professionals will also get bonuses, high compensation, and other benefits depending upon their work experience and the number of IT security projects handled.
- Challenging job environment –No employer is interested in doing a dull job. He wishes to work in a challenging environment where he can prove his skills. The CISM-certified professional gets a chance to work with other professionals to upgrade his skills and improve his educational standards. By this, he can make his job more exciting.
- International recognition –The CISM® certification is globally recognized and the most respected certification in the IT industry. This certification is highly valuable and holds acceptance as per the international standard. Therefore, CISM®-certified professionals can apply for the job in any country around the globe.
- Versatility – CISM®-certified professionals are quite adaptable as they get a wide range of skills in all the security fields. They can detect harmful data, track various security precautions and install security applications. They also get a chance to help their seniors in using various tools.
- Networking skills – The CISM-certified will join the group of professionals officially after getting the job. He will be communicating with his seniors on professional IT security projects. The professional will be able to help his team with his skills and expertise.
- Credible policies –The company needs to check how credible its employees are. If the employee is skilled, then it is assured that he will follow the company’s ethical criteria. That’s why organizations recruit CISM-certified professionals so that other employees can follow their policies in providing the best services.
Organizational Benefits of the CISM® Certification
- Hiring candidates with information security skills is a boon for the company. These employees help the organization make security policies for proper monitoring and maintenance.
- The CISM-certified professionals are useful assets for the company as they regulate the policies and reduce security risks for the smooth functioning of the company. They build reputation and trust among other employees and clients.
- The professionals with the CISM certification act as motivators for other employees so they can also enhance their skills and give their best to complete the given projects.
Also Read: Cyber Security Best Practices
CISM professionals are very important for IT companies as they protect their significant data from hackers. As the demand for IT security professionals is increasing, the number of job opportunities has also increased. Interested candidates can now apply for the jobs easily. They will highly be benefitted if they earn the CISM® certification. Hence, aspirants are advised to join the CISM training course as it can help them have a great professional future and become a good career path for them.